Wednesday 25 July 2007

Flood Crisis Hits Central London! Sort Of...

After seeing all those terrible pictures in the last couple of days of parts of England being flooded really badly, I've now had my own little flood crisis. Yesterday. At this point I can say that mine had nothing to do with global warming, though:
Apparently some pipe in the bathroom of the flat above our kitchen burst - somehow unnoticed - while some guys were doing maintenance work up there. So by the time I came back home, we had the kitchen completely flooded, with the water yet coming down the hallway...
And although that looked really pretty bad, it was this waterfall shooting down one of the ceiling lights that intrigued me most: I could have literally taken a shower under there. The rest of the roof was just raining cats and dogs... So - concerning the amount of water coming out of it - I actually expected some sort of an aquarium where once used to be the above flat...But instead of a freak wave, this maintenance guy opened up the door, smiling. Smiling!?!...until I showed him the mess in our kitchen...
As you can imagine, it did take him and me quite a while to clean it all up and while doing that, I kept asking him whether the electricity in the kitchen (especially that "sprinkler-ceiling-light“) was alright after all and if the roof was going to survive its flooding??! He gave me that "ahh-girl-what-do-you-know-look“, said I shouldn't worry and off he went, pretty much leaving me behind. And so as I just stood there, looking at this crack running across the ceiling, trying to decide whether he was right and I was just a wimp, or... the roof finally decided to come down. It completely collapsed... so that at the end of the day we had...

a big hole in the ceiling,

and another mess on the floor.

Luckily no one was hurt. So don't you worry...

No comments: